Thursday, November 10, 2011

Sadbh’s update – day 213


Seven months ago today our lives changed substantially and despite all the hardships, we consider ourselves to be so fortunate to have Sadbh in our lives.
Every so often I flash back to the instant I saw her face for the first time and fell deeply in love with this little person who was moments later snatched away from us by the NICU team to be intubated.

Obviously Katie and I would all much rather if everything had gone perfectly and if Sadbh’s vocal cords worked perfectly, but the last seven months has impacted us in such a positive way and we feel stronger and much more unified as a result.

Sadbh slept right through the night, but our night nurse had to suction her 8 times between midnight and 2am. Usually she only needs to be suctioned once or twice throughout the entire night.

I popped my head in at 5:30 am to kiss Sadbh as I headed out to work and as soon as she heard my voice, her eyes shot open and she gave me a huge smile.
Not a bad way to start the day for me, however, this meant it was time for Katie to get up and feed our little princess.

Overall, she had a good day and Granddad got to take her for a nice long walk throughout the neighborhood, along with her nurse.

Katie’s Aunt Cammy is in town from Palo Alto for the weekend, and Sadbh greeted her with a nice big smile when she arrived.
Sadbh is so social, and is always full of smiles when she meets people.
The only time I saw her get fussy with a stranger was when she met Waldo (Or Wally as he is known back in Ireland) on Halloween. I have a feeling that it was the hat that freaked her out.

After trach care she got to Skype with her cousin Kaito in Portland, and got to watch him blow out his birthday candles. Happy 9th birthday Kaito!!

We will not have nurses caring for Sadbh for the next few days, which is fantastic, however we are concerned that Sadbh will be okay throughout the night considering that her secretions are getting thicker and more frequent.



Take care,

Wayne, Katie and Sadbh.

No comments:

Post a Comment