Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Sadbh’s update – July 14 2015


It was an early start and thankfully Sadbh was quick to get ready.
Check in for our appointment with Dr. Inglis was at quarter to eight and since Sadbh was his first patient of the day everything was on schedule.
He checked out her airway and we discussed how she has been since the surgery. He was pleased with the results so far and was delighted to hear that we already had a sleep study already scheduled for this evening.
The goal now is for Sadbh to spend the night at the hospital in Bellevue and to wear her trach cap through the night as she sleeps. The team there will monitor everything, from her REM, blood oxygen level, apnia and so forth. The results of this sleep study should be available for Dr. Inglis and his team to review in a few weeks and on the 14th of August we have a follow up appointment to see how everything went.
If she has a “great” night without any issues whatsoever we might have a chance to have Sadbh’s trach removed by the end of the summer. If the results are not satisfactory we will have to keep the trach in and may have to consider additional surgeries to open up her airway further.

I was explaining this to my sister on the phone today and when I mentioned that we hoped that she would have a great night sleeping with her trach cap on Sadbh walked up to me and whispered into my ear “daddy, I am going to have a great night and I will get my trach out”.
I really hope she does! Either way, I am so impressed how brave she is, as she originally had no desire to go to tonight’s sleep study. It was only after she realized how important it is that she changed her mind and went without any fuss.






All the best,

Wayne, Katie, Sadbh and Cillian

No comments:

Post a Comment