Saturday, September 17, 2011

Sadbh's update - day 158


Sadbh had a good night’s sleep on Thursday and woke up around 3am Friday morning for a feed. I popped in to check on her at 5:30 before I left for work.
She was in such a deep sleep, and looked so cozy all swaddled up in her cot.

Sadbh’s medical equipment is cleaned daily and undergoes component replacement on a weekly basis. Often Katie and I will manage this maintenance ourselves, however, the nurses also assist from time to time.

This morning when I was visiting with Sadbh, our night nurse decided it was time to change out the canister for our portable suction machine.
Straight off the bat, I was nervous that she was going to wake Sadbh up, since this particular nurse is quite clumsy.
I figured that it would be best to stick around for a while, to make sure Sadbh remained asleep and to be available if the nurse needed me while she worked on the suction equipment.
As I mentioned earlier, Sadbh was in a very deep sleep and her heart rate was down around 115. This is until the nurse dropped the canisters and all the other components onto the wood floor, making quite the racket.
With that, Sadbh’s eyes shot open and her heart rate jumped up into the 140’s.
At this stage, I asked the nurse to leave it alone and that I would take care of it later, and signaled for her to leave the room.
With that, she shot me back a curt response that she would take care of it, as she wouldn’t drop it a second time.
In an effort not to disturb Sadbh any further, I bit my tongue and refrained from saying to her that she shouldn’t have dropped it the first time.

I managed to get Sadbh back to sleep within a few minutes and once the nurse was done with her maintenance, I left to go to work.

Sadbh slept for another 40 minutes or so, and by now the nurse’s shift had ended and mommy was taking care of her baby.
The both had a great day hanging out together and even Ali-Baba got to join in.

Later in the evening we had friends over for dinner and Sadbh got to hang out with Ella, who is a month older, and Ellison who is a month younger.
All three girls hit it off quite well and it was great to see the difference within all three ages, and to see what we have in store for us in the not too distant future.



Have a great weekend.

All the best,

Wayne, Katie and Sadbh.

No comments:

Post a Comment