Monday, December 2, 2013

Sadbh’s update – December 2nd 2013


Sadbh slept well but needed to be suctioned a few times throughout the night. Katie set her up with a saline nebulizer first thing this morning and this helped humidify her trach.
She was running a little temperature so Jenna and Katie gave her some Tylenol which seemed to help quite a bit.  Sadbh loved the grape flavor and immediately asked for more medicine.

As I headed back to work for the first time in three months I asked Sadbh for a hug and a kiss but she did not care. She turned to Katie and said “Mommy, you don’t go to work”. I at least hoped that she would give me a kiss but she was more concerned with the prospect of Katie leaving that she hardly even noticed me.
Eventually, I was able to steal a kiss before heading off.

Sadbh had a fun day with Nini and Jenna and when it came time for trach care she asked for Nini to hold her trach and for Jenna to clean. Everything worked well and not long afterwards Sadbh fell into a deep sleep.

Sadbh woke up in a fantastic mood and with a lot of energy to burn. As soon as I walked into the house she came running and gave me the biggest hug. It was quite the greeting.

Ali-Baba and Kirk came over for dinner this evening and by then Sadbh was like a zombie. She is definitely fighting something and it was very obvious in her eyes.
Despite this she was in a very good mood and was still full of beans.

It was hard saying good-bye to Nini and Sadbh did not want her to leave. Hopefully she will be able to come back for a visit early in the New Year.

Sadbh was exhausted when it came time to go to bed but she still put up a fight. She got a nice big snuggle in with Mommy and after a while she soon dropped off to sleep.

Crystal called in sick for tonight’s shift however we were fortunate that Helen was available and signed up to take of Sadbh tonight.

Even though I went back to work today after three months leave of absence, it was also my last day of work. Katie and I recently made the tough decision that I would pack in my job to be a full time stay at home dad.
Even though we are still a long way from resolving Sadbh’s bilateral vocal cord paralysis, it became apparent that it would benefit Sadbh immensely for me to stay home to provide her consistent care. She has made fantastic progress in daytime trach capping over the past three months. We have gone from a daily average of three hours per day to over ten hours.





All the best,

Wayne, Katie and Sadbh.

No comments:

Post a Comment