Monday, October 17, 2011

Sadbh’s update – day 189


Sadbh had a restless nights sleep and was awake by 3:30am. It took Katie an hour and a half to get her back to sleep.

I took over from the night nurse at 6am and Sadbh slept soundly until 7. When she awoke, she had the biggest smile and it seriously warmed my heart.

Sadbh is starting to take hold of the bottle when we feed her and is becoming more in control of her food intake. Obviously she still has a ways to go before she can totally feed herself, but she’s showing great improvements with her hand control.

My father has started to manage suctioning when needed, since he has now gone through his first training classes at Children’s. It has definitely proved to be very helpful when caring for Sadbh, and I have to admit that he’s picking it up really quickly.

We tested out the Passy Muir valve a couple of times and each time she handled it very well. At one point she had a nice big sneeze and since the valve forces her exhaled air up through her nose and mouth, she sneezed through her nose.
This was a first and it caught both my father and I off guard.

My mother had sent over a lovely dress for Sadbh a couple of months ago and today we took a series of photos with her modeling it. In an effort to get her to look directly at the camera, I had to hold Cookie Monster right above the lens and then get him talking.
It was a great deal of fun and Sadbh was a super star.
All the photos turned out great and she looked absolutely gorgeous.

After trach care, Sadbh had a nice long sleep and once she woke up, we headed out for a walk up to Seattle University’s campus.
It was a beautiful evening and Sadbh did not want to miss a single thing.
Even after we got home, it was another 3 hours before she was ready for sleep.
It was such a fantastic day hanging out with my little girl, I could be seriously tempted to quit my job and be a stay at home dad.



Take care,

Wayne, Katie and Sadbh.

No comments:

Post a Comment