Monday, October 31, 2011

Sadbh’s update – day 203 Halloween


Sadbh finally settled into sleep and had a somewhat decent nights sleep.
She did wake around 3:45 for a feed, and was back to sleep within an hour.

I came down to take over from her nurse a little before 6am and found the nurse sleeping in the arm chair. She was completely groggy when she woke up so I figured it would be better to wait until her next shift to discuss it.

Sadbh slept until 7am and woke up with her usual big smile. I disconnected her from all the equipment, replaced her trach guard with a nose and brought her up to Katie for breakfast. It was dark in the room when I placed her in the bed and she was reluctant to leave my side, that was until Katie woke up and started chatting with her.

After breakfast, it was time to head back down stairs for a burp and more importantly, a diaper change.
Despite not having had a poo in two days, Sadbh’s diaper was only wet.
As soon as I had her changed and in nice warm bed clothes, I heard two days worth of rumbling and next thing I knew, the aroma in the room changed from a pleasant smell of fresh baby to the fetid hum of two day old digested food. Fortunately, it was an easy clean up and Sadbh’s smile make it very bearable. I was also very relieved that she had finally been able to take care of business and would now feel much better.

We had about twenty minutes of play time in her cot with an assortment of her toys and then it was back into a deep slumber for another hour.

Despite having a short sleep, Sadbh was in great spirits when she woke up and was also quite hungry. A quick feed, diaper change and a manly burp, it was time to get out of her sleeping attire and dressed for play time.

Before I knew it, I heard a man sized breaking of the wind, and it didn’t come from me, or my father. And judging by the look of relief on Sadbh’s face, I instantly knew that I was in for one serious clean up.
The end result required two of us to clean up the mess and even I needed a change of clothes afterwards.

As soon as she was cleaned up and in fresh clothes, she was ready for more fun and games and it was another hour before she was ready for sleep.
She even got a chance to Skype with my sister in New Zealand.

Sadbh usually sleeps for an hour or so every couple of hours, however today she switched things up on us and her late morning snooze lasted two hours. In fact, she was in a very deep for most of those two hours.

This made trach care very difficult when it came time. She seemed to be in a nice deep sleep, however as soon as my father had the trach ties removed and had begun cleaning, she woke up and got extremely anxious. Her heart rate shot up between 170 and 195 and she was very upset.
I did my best to keep her as calm as possible, while my father had to rush through each step so he could get the new trach ties on and secured.
It was quite the ordeal, however he did a great job and Sadbh, who was by now exhausted, fell into a deep two-hour sleep.

As soon as Katie arrived home, Sadbh, almost sensing her arrival, awoke and it was dinnertime.

Right after dinner it was time to dress Sadbh up in her Halloween costume, a traditional Bavarian dress.
She looked so cute and adorable, however she noticed Waldo (Aka: Wally back home) and became very distressed. I have a feeling it might have brought back memories of her stay at Children’s Hospital.



All the best and Happy Halloween!!

Wayne, Katie and Sadbh.

No comments:

Post a Comment