Monday, May 30, 2011

Sadbh's update - day 49

I don't know if it was because of the holiday weekend, or what, but Children's seemed to be especially quite today. 

Katie and I took advantage of a very kind offer from Angie to babysit Sadbh for a couple of hours, so we went home to set up Sadbh's bedroom downstairs. Angie is a friend that we recently met due to Sadbh's situation. Angie has been a great source of comfort and advise for Katie and I. 

Alibaba then took over for another couple of hours allowing us to get a lot done at home. The rest of this week is going to get very crazy soon and we figured that we would try to get as much done at home beforehand.

We returned in time to give Sadbh a nice bath and to change out her trach ties. We are extremely lucky, since Sadbh usually falls fast asleep when we change out her tracht ties each day. Apparently, most kids get very fussy when this procedure is carried out, which could end up with the trach coming out. I'm so glad that she's a very relaxed child, she obviously didn't get that from me. 

The distant view from Sadbh's room is quite beautiful, especially on a lovely day like today. The view looks west across the lush tree tops over the University District, and when the sun starts to sit low, the room glows in it's golden splendor. We opened the curtains, pulled out the sleeper bed and the three of us stretched out on the bed and basked in the sunlight. Perfect way to end a great day.

I can't believe it's been seven weeks. At times it seems that the last seven weeks just blasted by, and on the other hand it seems like an eternity. I might have mentioned in a previous e-mail or blog, that Katie's pregnancy was quiet straight forward and easy for the most part, relatively speaking. Our Doula had asked, a few weeks prior to Sadbh's arrival, if we had any fears or concerns. For the most part, I didn't have any concerns, however, for some reason or other, I did worry if our child would be a special needs child. Since the pregnancy went so well, I didn't think we would end up in that situation. 

There have been many times since Sadbh arrived, that my world has come crashing down around me, as it has for Katie. However, we do feel so lucky that our situation is very manageable and in the grand scheme of things, could be a lot worse. 
Spending so much time at Children's, it's hard not to notice so many unfortunate kids with all sorts of health issues. Many will recover with flying colors, some will not. It puts everything into perspective. 

At the end of the day, I know that there is a much bigger picture here for me, and I hope to figure that out soon.

Three more nights to go and we can't wait! 


All the best,

Wayne, Katie and Sadbh.

P.S. Sadbh took her first trip to Starbucks today.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Wayne. To read each day about the Sadbh's progress and to see how you and Katie have weathered through this is inspiring to me as a parent. I wish you three many more quiet moments in the sun.

    ReplyDelete