Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sadbh’s update – July 1st, 2012


Since Sadbh was sick and prone to coughing fits, we decided to head to bed early so we could be right there if she needed us.
She was in a deep sleep so Katie and I watched some telly before going to sleep.
After a while, Sadbh woke up and joined us in bed and ended up watching some TV.
One of the shows had a bald chubby guy on it and when Sadbh saw him, she started doing the baby sign for daddy and then pointed from the TV to me. Both Katie and I laughed so hard, and poor little Sadbh did not know what was going on.

She had another rough night and needed to be suctioned constantly. To make things worse, Katie also came down with a cold so it ended up being a miserable night for everyone.

Sadbh was awake bright and early and seemed to be in a good mood. Shortly after nursing she started another coughing fit and ended up throwing everything up.
She lost all energy from that moment on but she still did not want to go back to sleep.
She also did not have any appetite and spent the morning cuddled up with Katie while I headed out to get some more Tylenol and Pedialyte to help rehydrate her.

Later in the morning, Sadbh had a light snack but she was still very miserable.
When it came time to Skype with my parents, Sadbh’s face lit up as soon as she heard my father’s voice. She was grinning from ear to ear and was desperate to get as close to the computer monitor as she could.

After we were done Skyping, she started to get really tired so it was time for trach care. Sadbh really enjoyed her bath and it did not take long before she was in a deep sleep.

Unfortunately, she had a coughing fit while we were cleaning her neck and this caused her to wake up. I was able to suction her trach and clear her airway, and then secure her trach ties. It was a little bit stressful, but we managed to remain calm so as not to get Sadbh stressed out.

Both Katie and I worked very hard to try and get Sadbh back to sleep, but despite being very tired, she was not interested. After an hour or so, I brought her downstairs for something to eat and so Katie could get a well-deserved rest.

Sadbh’s mood was all over the place and it was very exhausting trying to keep up with her. After a couple of hours of this, she wanted me to read one of her books and after the fifth time reading it to her, she fell into a nice sleep in my arms.

She only slept for about 40 minutes and when she woke up she was very upset.

Her mood for the rest of the evening was up and down and overall she was very clingy.

When it came time for bed she had another coughing fit and needed to be suctioned. She was so irritated and get very upset, however as soon as I was done suctioning her trach, she gave me the baby sign for “I love you”.
It’s not like we need any validation to let us know that we are doing a good job, but when Sadbh made that sign to me, I realized that she understands what’s going on and that she appreciated everything that we do for her. That is one powerful message, especially since she is only fifteen months old.



All the best,

Wayne, Katie and Sadbh.

No comments:

Post a Comment